To find poems, books, art, articles and news
visit the William Stafford Online Reader.

Saturday, August 12, 2006

The true value of Stafford's works

Two questions: How much would you pay for a Stafford collectible? Which publication would you pay the most for?

I don't know what my answer would be, but it's interesting that the the highest priced Stafford item that I could find online is a First Edition copy of Down in My Heart selling for $900! It isn't even poetry, but rather WS's memoir of alternative service during World War II. I would expect his award winning collection Travelling Throught the Dark to fetch more, but then, if that's what everyone knows, it holds less alluring mystique.

Here are the notes on this item:
Elgin, IL: Brethren Publishing House, (1947) First edition of author's first book, an account of his experience as a conscientious objector interned in Arkansas & California during WWII. Bound in gilt stamped cadmium green, 94pp. Very good-, gift inscription on front free endpaper, in good+ dust wrapper with some soiling but with price unclipped.


I can hear WS singing that old CPS song, perhaps with a new verse:
"I've got that opposition to consumption way down in my heart..."


At the same time, I want that $900 book! Maybe that's a sign I need to surf less and read more poetry.

No comments:

Post a Comment